Route Map of Content Strategy – Part I
Content strategy plays a pivotal role in the success of a business. As a strategist, there are many sections and areas for you to care for, but it begins with your brand and industry. Your research for choosing content strategy is based on your industry.
I. The following key areas must also be described:
- Brand : What is the performance of the brand in the present scenario? What are the values and propositions? What improvements are required in the areas of non-performance.
- Goals: What are the present and future goals of the brand. What plans have been designed for achieving targets. How these targets will be achieved.
- Setting: Whether online or offline, clear and distinct plans for execution must be designed. Also the division of current audience and targeted audience must be also be described.
II. Background Research
Research must involve the following:
Targeted audience and their needs must be identified and if these do not exist, we need to create needs.
- Stakeholder views
These are very valuable to eliminate roadblocks and to draw the best information about internal processes.
- Content Inventory
This is about quantitative assessment of the content that is already available and it is important to collect data viz., URLs, meta data, links, authors and target keywords along with the dates and updates.
- Content Audit
Evaluating content as good quality or bad quality, such as by checking bounce rate, social sharing analysis, traffic analysis, trend analysis and conversions are also taken into account for content audit.
- Gap Analysis
If any of the topics were to be covered and these were not included, a complete analysis will be retrieved to bridge the gap.
- Competitive Analysis
Complete examine of immediate and future competitors will be assessed in order to establish brand recognition for long-standing.
Tools To Use:
Inventories: To download a list of all URLs, screaming frog can be used.
Surveys: Google Consumer Surveys is most reliable to reach a set of normal audience. Using Qualaroo will help in taking poll of visitors who visit your website.
Heat and scroll maps: Crazyegg provides more details about how visitors are clicking and they are scrolling.
III Blog – Inspirational Tool
A business blog is not about how big is the company, but it is about keeping a connection with audience by developing most creative and inspirational content. It must be remembered that every segment audience have needs and as a company, if you can identify and fulfill those needs, your company’s content strategy has won the interest of audience.
IV Offsite Content – Popularity Tool
There is a need to more attention to prepare the content for faster brand image and this may be the circulation of brochures, videos, emails and campaigns, it must be in the interest of audience for quick recognition.
V Creating a Governance to succeed in content strategy
Governance is about creating rules for content success and this includes brand, voice, style, content architecture and infrastructure. Paying good attention to brand guidelines, style & voice guide and enabling readability will help to receive the interest of audience.
VI Managing Workflow by designing rules and documentation
The content team and the opinions of stakeholders along with legal team participate in many ways to the workflow by supplying required and relevant content. The brand life of Content Cycle is explained as:
- Ideation (Content team and managers)
- Outlining (SME)]
- Developing Content (Teams)
- Legal Review
VIII Plan of Action for success to evaluate content strategy results
Controlling, monitoring and examining the results in performed in this module. It is true that it takes time to enjoy the results, but to this effect a plan of implementation must be prepared. These include:
- Editorial Calendar : A guideline to do first-things first, a road map and who is assigned what jobs are also detailed.
- Regular meet with content team: A timeline for completing jobs and setting targets will enable speedy and organized work.
- Social strategy: Selecting few channels that help company’s strategy to get promoted and publishing content relevant to those channels will help brand recognition.
Clear perspective of content strategy plan will lead to successful results. Beginning from research to the brand recognition plan, every step of plan is a process and must be implemented methodically using the above tools and accessories.